Dec 9, 2010

How To Raise Children At Home In Your Spare Time

Many mothers are disappointed with the appearance of their babies. Real newborns do not look like the babies on the backs of cereal boxes. The skin may be frighteningly red, or unpleasantly blotchy. It may be cracked, dry, or peeling. It may be covered with fine downy black hair. In short, the baby may look barely humanoid.
I am not done yet. His head may be misshapen. Very often it is unnaturally elongated, with a kind of bony bun in the back, or there may be a distinct swelling on the one or both sides of the head. To make matters worse, he may open only one eye. And should he at one moment pass a little gas, resulting in a kind of sardonic smile, the effect can be unnerving. There may be discharge in both eyes as a result of medication administered at birth to prevent serious eye disease. His chin, as it may in many infants, may be underdeveloped, giving him an almost Andy Gump appearance.
I must admit that not all mothers react with disturbance to the physical appearance of their babies. Many mothers are so worried lest they give birth to a deformed child that they are relieved. In my description of the newborn, I may have laid it on a little thick, but now your actual, in contrast to your fantasied, first baby should not come as a shock.

- Marvin J Gersh, M.D.
OK so now that you think I am crazy I will explain...
I have been reading baby books and this comes from one that my Mom gave me that she read with me and my sisters. It is very old, maybe even an antique! Copyright 1966!!!! I am going to start posting all the funny things that I find in all my books, both old and new.

No comments:

Post a Comment