Mar 31, 2011

Julia's Story Part II

On the drive to the hospital we were both very relaxed. We saw that the lights were flashing telling us to tune into the information radio station, it said there was a Major accident right on our exit to the hospital off the I-10 bridge. There are only 2 bridges that get us from our side of the bay to Mobile. We exited and took the other bridge to get to Mobile no stress still cool and calm. We arrived at the hospital and walked in heading straight for Labor and Delivery. (4:20) We signed in and within minutes I was in the back in a gown waiting for the Doctor to come and check me. They used a little swab to see if I had peed my pants or if in fact the fluid leaking out of me was my water breaking. The nurse told me if it was amniotic fluid that the tip would turn a blue color... um yeah how about the darkest blue I have ever seen! So I guess this was it I couldn't deny it any longer, I was going to have a baby and maybe even that night. Jared came in and the doctor checked me to see how dilated I was, I was only over a 2 and 70% thinned out. He asked if I was having any contractions? I said I didn't think so, but I didn't even know what they felt like at this point so maybe. I got wheeled up to my delivery room, hooked to an IV, and some monitors for my contractions and for Julia's heart rate. I was told that I could no get out of bed until she was born, not even to go to the restroom! The doctor came in about 2 hours later and checked me I was moving slower than he liked so he said the next time he checked he may have to start some Pitocen to get things moving. Jared and I decided to pass the time we would take some funny pictures acting like we were scared and a few others. We also played a game of Phase 10 and I won! We had no idea what was about to unfold... We started Pitocen at 10:30 p.m. and they slowly increased the doses throughout the night, I became more uncomfortable the higher the dose and the more times they checked my progress. I was moving along increasing cm by 2's. I started throwing up and the contractions were about 2 minutes apart, I thought that I must be near the end. In the early a.m. I broke down and asked the nurse for something to help with the nausea and take the edge off the pain. Lowest level possible, she gave me some phenergren and nubane. This only made things harder, I would fall asleep between contractions which like I said were 2 min apart and then when I woke up it was like I was in a daze. The rest of the night seemed like a blur and then I remember the doctor coming in and saying I was at a 10 and her head was right there! This was about 6:30 a.m. and he was sure I would deliver her by shift change 7, I started pushing... 5 hours later I was still pushing and her head had been crowning for hours. At this point I was running on nothing but adrenaline, no pain meds in me I felt every little thing. The doctor came in and said we had to make a decision and get her out of me. Nearing 24 hours after my water breaking, the doctor said suction or C-section?? I voted suction since they said she would already have a cone head from being stuck so long. This is when they inform me that mt pelvis is too small and that is why all my hard pushing couldn't get her out. I would have liked to know this 20 hours ago! They went to get ready and set up and in moments little baby Julia had a suction cup attached to her, I pushed and they pulled and Jared watched...everything! Soon after she was out and flopping around, Jared cut the cord I got to see her for a split second and she was whisked away to the NIC unit. We sat there and couldn't believe it was over and we had a baby girl, I was a Mommy and Jared a Daddy. But it just didn't feel right, where was our baby? when could we see her? Was she ok? To Be Continued....

3 comments:

  1. this is like reading a book and having a cliff hanger....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to type between feedings... sorry I have to cut it short. i hope to finish soon!

    ReplyDelete